The Link between Military School and Character Development
English philosopher John Locke once wisely observed that when it comes to character we tend to be chameleons, taking on the attitudes and behaviors of those around us. As children and teens, we develop aspects of character from the adults who raise and teach us; but we’re also greatly influenced by our peers. These are the critical years to develop strong, stable characters that help us make critical, and often difficult, decisions throughout our adult years.
We can learn many things in school – important, intentional concepts about math, science, history, language, and other subjects. But we also learn intangible concepts. These concepts are largely based on the people and circumstances we are exposed to. Even the subtlest influences can shape a young person’s character in significant ways. It’s no surprise that parents devote a lot of time and effort to helping their kids navigate the turbulent waters of the adolescent and teen years. But even the most vigilant parent can’t be with their child 24 hours a day, nor can they “shadow” their children at school, where many crucial influences tend to be strongest and most pervasive.
How military school supports good character
For many parents, a rigorous school curriculum is one of the primary reasons for selecting a military school. High schools like Riverside Military Academy tend to adhere to a very high standard when it comes to academics
, preparing students for the challenges of adulthood, and setting the stage for successful careers and fulfilling meaningful lives. But top-notch academics are just one benefit offered by military schools. Founded on an established code of ethics
, these schools offer a supportive environment that helps kids develop strong characters and a deep commitment to personal responsibility and excellence.
Military schools for boys help students excel individually, but also instill in them a strong sense of community and teamwork. Here, students learn the importance of sacrificing one’s individual needs to advance the good of the community. Personal responsibility and strong character are “baked in” to every branch of the military. West Point’s Cadet Prayer sums it up beautifully: “Make us choose the harder right instead of the easier wrong, and never to be content with a half-truth when the whole can be won. Endow us with courage that is born of loyalty to all that is noble and worthy, that scorns to compromise with vice and injustice and knows no fear when trust and right are in jeopardy.” At Riverside Military Academy, we help students build character in these key ways:
- Leadership activities: From academics to sports to other extracurricular activities, students at Riverside Military Academy have ample opportunity to develop and nurture their innate leadership abilities. Students who demonstrate leadership capabilities are rewarded with promotions and privileges.
- Strong role models: The experienced staff at Riverside Military Academy provides strong role models, and sets standards in everyday behavior that help every student learn through example.
- Dedication to service: Service activities are part of the curriculum of most military high schools, providing students with an understanding of their place and personal responsibility in building a better future for everyone, not just for themselves.
- Commitment to respect: Students attending military schools are required to show respect for those in positions of authority, and they also learn to show courtesy to all of their peers, regardless of their level of leadership, to support common goals.
- Recognition of excellence: Riverside Military Academy students are encouraged to be their best in every endeavor, academically and personally. Hard work and integrity are recognized by their teachers and their peers, and they’re traits worth striving for – enabling students of every age to experience greater self-confidence and a deeper sense of self-worth that helps them stand up for their principles.
Riverside Military Academy: Top-rated military school for boys
Raising a child is no easy task, especially in today’s rapid-paced society, where children and teens are continually bombarded with influences on TV, social media, and through their phones. At Riverside Military Academy, we help our students develop strong characters and high standards that enable them to sift through the background noise to identify and support what’s right and good. Founded over a century ago, Riverside Military Academy has earned a reputation as a top military boarding school for students in grades 7 through 12, offering a challenging curriculum combined with a safe, structured environment designed to enable young men to achieve and succeed. To learn more about Riverside Military Academy and the programs we offer, request to receive more information
using our online form or call us at 1-877-672-2338
to request a campus tour today.