Registration and Enrollment Dates Change to August 9 & 10.
Dear RMA Families, Faculty and Staff,
I hope you continue to be well during these summer days. While the RMA campus is quiet, senior staff members have been working long hours to prepare to reopen the campus for in-person, on-campus academic learning.
Let me refresh you on my last communication dated June 2 about the reopening of school. In that letter I shared with you our strong preference to teach our cadets on campus and in person. Your sons thrive in this environment and our faculty/staff prefer it as well. With that in mind and with the results of the parent survey in hand, we began planning for an opening of the fall semester for in-person, on-campus learning in late July. The rationale was to get the cadets back on campus beginning July 25 and hunker down, if you will, for six weeks with no visitors and no open weekends. This plan included Saturday classes and the integration of all JROTC training, ROC Orientation, leadership, band, and Raider camps. It was a bold decision and many of you expressed your support for the plan that would allow us to bank as many in-person teaching days as possible.
However, a recent delay in securing ample testing equipment coupled with our priority to provide a healthy, safe, and secure environment for your sons and our faculty/staff, has compelled me to change the registration and enrollment dates to August 9th and 10th. The 6x6 schedule will begin at that time, and visitors to campus and open weekends will not be permitted. The updated Registration Instructions and explanation of the 6x6 schedule are linked at the bottom of this email and can be found under Parent Resources after logging in to MyRMA. Please read those instructions closely and let the appropriate department know your questions.
The updated schedule is:
Sunday, August 9 - Returning Cadet Registration
Monday, August 10 - ROCS (Recruits on Campus) Registration
Tuesday, August 11 - Administrative day
Wednesday, August 12 - Classes begin
Saturday, August 29 - Day cadet boarding requirement anticipated to end
September 4 – 8 - Labor Day leave – CANCELLED
Friday, Sept. 18 - End of 6x6 restriction (Possible leave TBD)
If you know me at all, you know that I do not like to change a plan once it has been communicated, but this change is driven by external factors. The additional two weeks will allow us to move confidently into the plan for reopening. We are committed to in-person, on-campus learning, and the extra two weeks will greatly increase our ability to do that safely.
Attached are our DRAFT Reopening Considerations for Fall 2020
. Please read it carefully for specific guidance for our staff, and you and your son(s). This is a living document that will be subject to changes, which we will communicate to you accordingly. An updated calendar for the rest of the fall semester will be shared with you when it is ready.
COL(R) Staś C. Preczewski